Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Unexpected Beauty"



"Unexpected Beauty”
6" X 6" Oil on Raymar Panel
NFS

When my missionary friend in Africa said she had sent me a photograph that she thought might make a nice painting, I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive (sorry, Barb!)  It’s not that I don’t trust her opinion – ‘cuz she really has good taste.  It’s just that my visual perception of Africa was compiled primarily of the 500 (give or take) pictures my husband and son took on their recent missionary trek there.  Not that those aren’t worthy of canvas– it’s just that none of them are anywhere close to the subject matter or colors I’m used to painting.  

Now, be honest - aren’t you thinking brown (as in hippo, dirt and desert), gray (as in elephant, hut and desert), and ochre (as in giraffe, lion and desert)?

But, faithful friend that I am, I anxiously opened the download and looked.  Surely she must have made a mistake and attached photos from the States instead!  Lush foliage, vibrant botanicals, a purring ‘felix domesticus’, and ………. a charming daffodil yellow home, acces-sorized  with clay pots of fragrant blooms????

Ya gotta love those moments of Unexpected Beauty!  They happen quite frequently really – it’s just that we usually are so focused on what we expect  - our “earth tones” - that we’re not even open to seeing the “color” God places in our paths.   Like the true “cerulean blue” confidante who had merely been an acquaintance before you faced an insurmountable issue.  Or the strength of the primary colors you experience when God empowers you to do something you dread and know you could never do on your own.   How about the “tickled pink” laughter between girlfriends as they help each other find humor when dealing with overwhelming work or family issues.

Just a reminder – start looking :)

“to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
and to seek him in His temple.”
Psalm 27:4


Many thanks to Barb and Doug for supplying the reference photo for this painting!

                                                                                                                                        

1 comment:

  1. Wow Debi,
    When my friend Barb sent me this link by e-mail, I could hardly believe my eyes. At first it was just a pleasant surprise to see my parent's home appearing on an American blog but then wait a minute, that was no photo but a real painting, so well painted that I almost thought it was the original photo. I love your painting and I can't believe how quickly you painted it. Even though it is a pretty home inside and out, the love that I have receive from my parents and family in that home, makes it all the more beautiful to me. It was such a joy to read this blog post and to look at your beautiful painting.
    May your paintings always bring you and those who see them much joy.
    Blessings
    Tania

    ReplyDelete