Thursday, October 9, 2014

Covered Bridge - Forgotten Place

"Forgotten Place"
11" X 14" Raymar Linen
NFS

When my cyber-friend, talented artist, writer, and photographer, Debbie Nolan (for a blessed treat, please visit her here!) posted my photo reference several months ago, I immediately knew I wanted to paint it.  For some reason, I am drawn to old wood structures – barns, covered bridges, cabins, doors, etc.  I love their imperfect textures, chipped paint and worn shapes.  They humbly boast scars from past experiences that subconsciously both intrigue and beckon me.  Oh, if we only knew!



When I asked Debbie for permission to paint this piece, she graciously said yes, and she also shared the fact that it hosts the carving of her and her husbands initials from years ago.  See – I knew it had a story!

Though this painting was a bit out of my comfort zone, it was actually quite a spiritual experience.  Throughout the process, the image spoke to me of God’s faithful promises – His love, guidance, protection, and deliverance.  For reasons I don’t need to share, I so wanted it to turn out!  Unfortunately, the depths of my motivation far exceeded my artistic efforts, yet I hope it will still speak to you…..

                                 “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.  
                                   He makes me lie down in green pastures,
                                   He leads me beside quiet waters,
                                   He restores my soul. 
                                   He guides me in paths of righteousness for his Name’s sake.
                                                                                                                      Psalm 23: 1-3

2 comments:

  1. Oh Dear Debi - this is so beautiful. I know that it will be very much loved and appreciated from the recipient. I am so glad that you let me be a small blessing in sharing God's love with someone. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the painting! It is a beautiful, artisitic depiction of the covered bridge, so you see it turned out beautifully after all, despite your misgivings! It speaks to me for many reasons, mainly because the imperfect structures, I believe, speak to our human condition. How I love the gifts of imperfection! Just as you say, "They humbly boast scars from past experiences that subconsciously both intrigue and beckon me," so do our scars beckon us to growth if we will allow it. God is so good in that regard! Thank you for sharing your gift of inspiration! Susan

    ReplyDelete