Sunday, January 8, 2012


"An Angel"
6" X 6" Oil on Raymar Canvas Panel
NFS

The bible tells us that angels are ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation (Hebrews 1:14).  So it’s easy to see how “angel” transitions into our every day language.  Who are the people that have truly blessed you in your life – who have been there for you in a time of need, who have anonymously acted in love, who have adorned you with unsolicited encouragement?

Recently, I attended the funeral prayer service of a friend’s mother – Bev.  I didn’t know her well personally, but certainly knew her through my friend and her sister.  When I would see her, she always preceded her words with her warm, genuine smile, and somehow wasted no time in making me feel comfortable, even if that meant her being uncomfortable.  What I remember most about her, though, is how she always made me feel special.  In her presence, surely I wore a tiara.

When it came time for family members and friends to share their thoughts at the prayer service, I listened as, one by one, each person related their favorite things about Bev – from funny stories to sentimental moments.  It wasn’t long before I realized the common thread amongst those whose lives she touched.  She made each one of us feel special in her own way – because we were special to her.  (And I thought it was just me!)

I think that is a gift – God’s gift to her that she then extended to many others.  What a testimony to her life.  The service was a beautiful celebration of a devoted wife, mother, daughter, grandmother, great-grandmother, (add the many other roles she played), who is greatly missed. 

An Angel.

This painting is in honor of Beverly Schapker.


No comments:

Post a Comment