Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let Love Light Your Way!





"Let Love Light Your Way"
12" X 12" Oil on Raymar Panel
Available with accompanying gift basket thru Silent Auction
Albion Fellows Bacon Center Gala
Saturday, April 13, 2013
The Manor Auditorium, St. Mary’s Medical Center

Little Graham has a four-year-old obsession with flashlights.   He has a variety of uses for his coveted treasure – from making fun light patterns on the ceiling of his bedroom after his mom turns out the light at night, making a tent under his covers, assisting mom in finding the Easter decorations in the attic, to shining the light in his sisters’ faces – oh, the thought process of a little guy!  What power he must feel, though, to be in control of such a useful tool – one that elicits an immediate response - all at the flip of a switch that he holds in his hand!

On my recent trip to Sam’s Club,  I decided to make a “stop” before I began shopping.  As I approached the restroom, I noticed the lights were out.   I hesitated before proceeding, but decided my situation warranted it.  I had walked about five feet in when I realized how pitch black it was (no windows), heard some movement , and decided to re-think this.   So, I went back out and looked around for an “out-of-order” sign, “men working”, or possibly a hidden camera?  My eyes landed on - the light switch.  Hmmmm, I wondered.  Out of urgency, I thought, “What do I have to lose?”  So, like Graham, I flipped the switch. 

Abracadabra – as in magic, there was LIGHT!  The room was flooded with a lovely cold fluorescent light that reflected off all the other shiny, cold institutional–looking surfaces.  (I know, it’s just a public restroom!)   Elated, I entered and saw there was a woman in each and every stall.   (Honestly, what were they thinking?)  I nearly laughed out loud as one passed me on her way out – mum – as if nothing had happened.  

Are we okay with walking in the dark?  Are we so oblivious we don’t even notice?  I think of all the times I “walk in the dark”, stumbling into things to find my way  - sometimes hurting or getting hurt in the process.   Without the help of the Holy Spirit, we truly are walking in the dark, letting the bumps be our guide, and hoping we don’t fall into a pit we can’t see.  Sometimes a seemingly innocent one-time decision can cause us to slip into a black hole and lead to a lifetime of bondage, pain, and suffering.   And on the flip side (sorry, couldn’t resist) how quickly we can have hope by simply turning on the switch – asking for God’s love, direction and power to light our path.

The Word tells us that “God is Love” (1 John 4:16b), “He is the light of the world, (John 8:12),
and "He illumines our darkness”  (Psalm 18:28b)  

Let love light your way!

2 comments:

  1. Debi - this is wonderful...I so agree too about letting the Holy Spirit guide us. I think you captured the essence of how so many people travel through life in the dark and don't even know to reach for the switch. (I am lol at those women in the dark in the restroom). Glad you were brave enough to show them some light and us too - God Bless you - by the way your painting is beautiful...it makes me want to visit it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie - you are just the sweetest person and always know the "right" thing to say to a girl :) I hope one day our paths will cross in person! Blessings, girlfriend!

      Delete